Community and Education Coordinator
Reporting to: Community Education and Volunteering Manager
Location: London, UK
It’s about engaging people with nature. Helping teachers take their lessons out of the classroom and into the garden to grow fruit and veg or involving local people in a community tree planting project.
Trees for Cities is the only charity working on a global scale focused on planting urban trees and greening cities. Edible Playgrounds transform areas in school grounds into vibrant outdoor spaces that excite and teach children about growing and eating healthy food.
Our Edible Playgrounds programme is expanding this year and will be the main focus of your work. You will work with teachers to create planting plans and growing guides, link these into teaching plans, develop curriculum resources and deliver training. You will work with schools in London and possibly other UK cities.
You will also support delivery of our Urban Forest tree planting projects in London although this will be a smaller element of your role. You may help to identify local communities and involve them in the design stage or get local residents out to plant, care and enjoy the new green spaces they have created. You will also be one of the team managing our wider network of volunteers.
The sort of person we’re looking for:
- Good understanding of the community consultation process
- Able to demonstrate strong project management skills and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communications skills, able to engage with confidence and authority with pupils, teachers, Head teachers, community members and community leaders
- Strong planning skills with the ability to manage competing priorities and solve logistical challenges
- Experience of leading outdoor workshops and events with schools, community or volunteer groups about food growing and/or tree planting
- Good working knowledge of growing fruit and vegetables and general horticulture
- Strong excel skills and confident in managing and analysing data to produce insightful reports
- Knowledge of training approaches and change management techniques
- Health and safety and risk assessment in practice
How to apply
Click here to view full job description on our website. Download and complete the application form and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Community and Education Coordinator’. Trees for Cities is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing date to apply is 9am on Monday 19 March 2018. If you are shortlisted you will be sent an invite by the end of the day on Monday 19 March. Interviews are scheduled for Thursday 22 March.
Please note the role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.